Friday, January 22, 2016

The Feel of Fresno!









So ending up in Fresno wasn’t on my initial plans for New Years Day.  Work called and next thing I know, this was the destination I was headed to.  Flying in, we had a gorgeous view of the Sierra Nevada’s and I must say from talking to people and asking them what there is to do in Fresno, visiting Yosemite is probably one of the only things worthwhile on the bucket list there though I’m determined on future visits to figure out what the city truly offers.
I’ll be honest and many will probably hate me for saying it.  Fresno has been one of the most saddest cities I’ve visited so far in my travels. The best way that I know how to describe the Fresno I saw, is a combination of South Central, Downtown and East Los Angeles with maybe a little bit of El Monte California mixed in there meets Tulsa, Oklahoma.  I know that’s a wide swing and just sounds weird but it truly is the only way I can accurately describe the feel of Fresno.  It’s one of those places where I can see used to be filled with so much life but now what remains are boarded up windows and empty spaces for rent. I’m sure the city has a little more life than what I saw while I was there, after all I was there New Years day so things are probably slightly different.  I can see the city being such a happening place way back in the day. It’s a place that could be reborn into something great one day but for now it just has a certain mood. I can’t quite describe it. It’s almost a city in mourning of better days maybe?
Anyway, while I was there I explored the downtown area.  Noticed a lot of loitering going on. Guess that’s pretty normal for this city from what I hear.  I saw museums and historic buildings; all closed of course because of the Holiday.  However, I was able to find a few thrift shops open and got to rummage through a few racks of goodies.  Didn’t pick up anything but it was fun to see. I enjoyed seeing the architecture of Fresno.  Old buildings always fascinate me a bit. As a kid I would wander off into spaces I wasn’t supposed to go exploring old buildings in the city I grew up in. I guess there is a nostalgia of the past that I’m drawn to.  
Anyway, that is my Fresno experience this go around.  I’m sure I’ll be back one day.  Maybe next time I’ll be able to dig into this city a little deeper and figure out it’s heartbeat a little better.  Until next time Fresno......

No comments:

Post a Comment